Basic Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 recipe Cornbread, broken up into small cubes and toasted
- 60 to 12g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut into small dice (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- a small handful of flat parsley or chervil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 175g toasted chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 250ml chicken or turkey stock
- 1 to 2 eggs, well beaten (optional)
Preheat oven to 200°C Gas 6.
Turn the toasted corn bread cubes into a large bowl, breaking up the cubes with your fingers. Set aside.
In a large frying pan melt the butter over medium heat and add the onions, celery, pepper and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped herbs, chestnuts salt and pepper.
Pour the vegetable mixture over the corn bread and mix well. Moisten with the chicken stock and eggs, stirring until the stuffing is lightly moist but not packed together. Adjust the seasonings.
Turn the mixture into a large buttered baking dish. Bake uncovered in a 180°C oven until the top has formed a crust and the stuffing is heated through, about 25 to 30 minutes.