Braised Red Cabbage with Honey and Vinegar
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 900 g), quartered, cored, and thinly sliced crossways
- 2 slices bacon, diced or use 30 g butter or a bit of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons good-quality vinegar, Aspall’s Apple Balsamic is a nice option
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, if bacon is used, or 1 teaspoon if butter or oil is used
- 1/8 tablespoon caraway seed
Immerse the shredded cabbage briefly in cold water.
In a large non-reactive frying pan or casserole, cook the bacon or butter or oil over low heat until the fat is rendered. Add the onions and cook over medium heat until golden.
Lift the cabbage out of the water and add to the pan along with vinegar, honey, salt and caraway seeds. Cover the pan and cook over low heat until the cabbage is very soft, about 1 hour, adding boiling water if needed during cooking.